Friday, February 24, 2012

DATABASEPROPERTYEX linked server

It is possible to grap a database property from a database on a linked server? Like this?
Select DATABASEPROPERTYEX('servername.databasename','Reco very')
Thanks!
TommyI Tried a variety of ways, and it doesn't look like it...

Select DATABASEPROPERTYEX('QA.dbo.Northwind','Recovery')|||Same results, here, I just get null. I'm going to try to look at the sysdatabases.status field. I just need to get the recovery model, and see if the database is online or not.

Thanks

Tommy|||Why not create a sproc on each (master) db and do a remotr sproc call? That should work...|||..know what?

If you could do that then you would easily have the ability to know...they shouldn't change strategies at all...

If you're the dba you should know...

You should have an inventory of everything...are these out of your control, and what are you trying to accomplish? (inventory automation?)|||Brett:

Thanks for your help. I'm an ISP, and my users have the ability to set their db's the simple. I run my own log shipping scripts. When I backup the logs on the source, it's easy to check the status, and NOT back up logs if it's set to simple. The restorelog runs on the failover server, and I have to tell my script to not try to restore if the original db is set to simple. Other wise, my job shows as failed, even it it fails on one database that is set to simple.

Tommy|||Are these physical servers or instances of sql 2k?

In either case you have to build both, just store a sproc in master, and open a cursor to find the dbs with

select * from sysdatabases