Sunday, February 26, 2012

Databases show in EM but not in sysdatabases?

I'm managing the back end SQL 2000 instance for a vendors application. The
application allows users to create databases on the fly for testing, etc.
I opened the instance in Enterprise Manager, and noted that the number of
databases had grown to about a dozen (other than the system databases). Hmm,
so being concerned about drive space, etc, I executed a sp_helpdb.
Yikes..only one of the dozen user databases showed in the listing for
sp_helpdb. Checked sysdatabases and sure enough only one user db shows.
But in EM I can open any of the other 11 DB's, open tables from them, view
options, etc etc. So I'm just curious, how can I view them in EM but they
don't show in sysdatabases?
TIA
<*blush*>..Sigh..one of those days. I did a 'Romo'. Time for a brewski.
"Tibor Karaszi" wrote:

> My guess is that you are connecting to different SQL Server instances.
> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
> http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
>
> "bill_the_cat" <billthecat@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:AF04CEDA-BF16-415C-A652-CB7693F2F16D@.microsoft.com...
>