Friday, February 24, 2012

databases disappeared but MDF, LDF still there...

I have been using SQL Server 2000 but not am not an expert on it. I recently
copied databases into a new server using Database Copy Wizard. The previous
databases were copied with no problems. The last one however, still copied
ok but the databases on the "source" server disappeared! I tried
"re-copying" same databases back into the source server but I am getting a
'name conflict' error. From my research, this meant the mdf and ldf files
are still there. Note that I "copied" and NOT "moved" these databases. Can
you please tell me how I can restore these databases? I also tried
re-creating the missing database so I can export data back into it but I got
"Error 5170: Cannot create file 'e:\data\MSSQL\...\.MDF' because it already
exists. etc" Thank you for helping.
--
_________________
Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better. (Albert Camus)One of the reason could be, the source and the destination database file
names could be same.
When you are using copy database wizard, try to modify destination file name
to something else and then try to copy.
Hopefully, it should work.
Thanks
GYK