Tuesday, March 27, 2012

DatasourceView named query creation problem

Hi to all,
I have a problem within the editor of Named Query in Visual Studio.
Whenever I try to add a named query to a Datasourceview I receive the common "Object Reference not seto to an instance of an object". In the PC Visual studio have the SP1 installed, and the Client Components of Sql Server are installed and patched to the Sp2.
I tried to debug the IDE of visual studio using another instance of VS attached to the first but... nothing! What can I do to add a named query to my datasource view ?
Thanks in advance!
Marco

When these kind of strange problems appear I usually do a total reinstall of the software.

Is the data source SQL Server or another database?

You can also tell us about the O/S and version and other software installed on your computer/workstation.

HTH

Thomas Ivarsson

|||Oh... I would be happy if I can NOT DO a total reinstall of the software!
The Datasource is Sql Server (the same datasouce of other table in the Datasourceview), OS is WinXp sp2 continuosly update by windows update. I have a lot of software installed on my computer... (VS 6.0, VS2003, VS2005, VSS, MSOff2007, Firefox, MSSQL Express, Client Tools of SQL Server, MsnMessenger, Dameware remote control, Nero...)
I think it's a problem with the dll that create the dialogue to make the named query, although I don't know wich dll it is!
|||This problem has also appeared on my workstation (it used to work OK).
I am Windows XP, SP2, SQL 2005 SP2, VS2005 SP1.
I've also compared the contents of:
Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\DataWarehouseDesigner\UIRdmsCartridge
with
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\DataWarehouseDesigner\UIRdmsCartridge
and they match.
I'm not sure what caused the problem to start happening - I suspect an automatic update may be the culprit.
I've also uninstalled/reinstalled & reapplied SP2 for SQL Server 2005 to no effect.
The error dialog does not have a "Details>>" button, so I cant get any further details on the issue.
Note that the error occurs before the "Add New Neamed Query" dialog box appears - when I click OK on the error the dialog box appears for a microsecond and then disappears.

Any help appreciated!
PK