Thursday, March 29, 2012

Datatype Problem

Hello
I am new to SQL Server and have migrated an Access DB to SQL Server
I can connect to the database, pull content, etc but a strange thing happen
when I use the "text" datatype. I have a table called "tbl_news
where a field is called "news_story" this is a large text block that my clien
can cut and paste text from MS word. Since it needs to hold large amounts ot tex
I used the MEMO field-type in Access. When I used the TEXT field in SQL serve
some weird stuff happens. When I query the record in a recordset and display
the results on a standard ASP page - one or another fields will not print out
No matter what I try - it seems that one field won't display and there is no rhyme or reason.
When I look in the DB I see the DATA but it wont print on the screen like response.write rs("news_story"
What would cause a field not to print? somewhat hap-hazardly
SHould I use the text datatype? For ex. when I use vchar it doesnt happen. But my tex
gets truncated. Please Help - I am ready to pull my hair ouTo read from TEXT column you should use READTEXT statement,
but you can try to play with SET TEXTSIZE.
Please read "Retrieving ntext, text, or image Values" topics in BOL.
HTH
Igor Raytsin
"Padpros" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:892D6AA1-FCF8-4051-9586-B0FFAA1ED99D@.microsoft.com...
> Hello,
> I am new to SQL Server and have migrated an Access DB to SQL Server.
> I can connect to the database, pull content, etc but a strange thing
happens
> when I use the "text" datatype. I have a table called "tbl_news"
> where a field is called "news_story" this is a large text block that my
client
> can cut and paste text from MS word. Since it needs to hold large amounts
ot text
> I used the MEMO field-type in Access. When I used the TEXT field in SQL
server
> some weird stuff happens. When I query the record in a recordset and
display
> the results on a standard ASP page - one or another fields will not print
out.
> No matter what I try - it seems that one field won't display and there is
no rhyme or reason.
> When I look in the DB I see the DATA but it wont print on the screen like
response.write rs("news_story")
> What would cause a field not to print? somewhat hap-hazardly?
> SHould I use the text datatype? For ex. when I use vchar it doesnt happen.
But my text
> gets truncated. Please Help - I am ready to pull my hair out
>